Friday, May 22, 2009

remembering

One thing one can do while retired is turn to modern technology and read such things as a blog, its kinda like reading a book in progress. Today in between feeling sorry myself for the aches and pains in the old body and the thought of Memorial Day approaching I took time to read a blog posted by my oldest daughter. As I read and wiped tears between each sentence, memories of her childhood and how she always had her nose in a book came to light. I thought to myself how blessed I have been to have her, her brilliance will forever outshine anything I have achieved in my lifetime.
Memorial day coming up is day of remembering those who gave the their life so that we may enjoy the freedoms we have. It is also a day of remembering those we have loved who my not have died in battle but have devoted they life so that we my have a linage known as family. Each year I make an effort to place flowers upon the little piece of earth that covers those who have gone before me.
In reading the blog I wondered what comforting thoughts could a father give a daughter who seems to always be the one nurturing and teaching the parent. As I make my way to the resting place of her Mother all I can do is pray and give thanks for the gifts she left. I will silently let those who rest know that they can be proud of the fruit their seeds have produced.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Dad, you're too sweet. Once I get used to being a retiree, I'll probably have my face right back in the books. I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with myself first. This whole retirement thing is not as exciting as I thought it would be. At least not right now, anyway.

    Hey, you've been tagged! Head on over to my blog to see what it's all about. The blogosphere is waiting!

    ReplyDelete